Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gay Marriage

So, again I've been reading comments. This time, it's on this post.

I suppose someone has to write this and it might as well be me. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter what I think or say or do....so I might as well just go for it.

I do not agree with gay marriage. Call me close minded, or a bigot, or whatever vile term you can come up with. It doesn't change the fact that I have a right to my opinion.

Let me start by saying that my closest friend and most loved sister is gay. I love her more than I love anyone else on the planet. I also love her partner. I don't think they should marry.

Marriage really should be between a man and a woman, as God ordained.

I do believe that they should immediately be able to have a legal relationship if that is what they choose to do. I think they should be able to be each other's legal spouses.

But the church (at least any church I have every been to) follows the bible or the Koran or the teachings of Budda. There is no reference to a man marrying a man or a woman marrying a woman.

Call me crazy (or whatever else you like).
This is the saddest case of ignorance I know of. The person knows what is right and yet, because their Sky Daddy says otherwise (or, more accurately, a book, which vaguely alludes to the subject, which was written by people who say they spoke to said sky daddy), they refuse to accept what they know is true.

It's nothing short of sad. I want to go up to people like this and give them a hug then calmly explain to them that it's okay, they'll die and become worm food. There is no life after this life and that's what makes this life so important. You have to live every day to the fullest because there is no reward after it. Our morals are better then that of a fictional creator who a bunch of ancient people created. You don't have to ignore your morals to please him. There is no him. Instead, please yourself, your friends, and your family. Be good because it's good to be good. You don't need any reason besides that.

It's so frustrating that there is so many people like this person out there. People that you know are good and caring who, to avoid fear of their own mortality, act evil and controlling in an attempt to appease a guy they have never met.

I wish there was a way to help them open their eyes and, instead of working for their invisible sky daddy, would work to make both current and future humans lives better.

Who said an atheist doesn't have hope? I have hope for religion to die.

No comments: